Good day. Here are the stories for The Manila Times for Saturday, July 13, 2024.

Today's episode is brought to you by Wilcon Depot, The Philippines' leading home improvement and construction supplies retailer—your Trusted Building Partner.

READ: PH to 'stand our ground' in sea row

THE Philippines will "stand our ground" in a dispute with Beijing over the South China Sea, National Security Adviser Eduardo Año said on Friday, eight years after an international ruling against China in the territorial contest. Tensions over the strategic waterway, a key passage for seaborne trade, have soared in the past 18 months following a series of escalating confrontations between Philippine and Chinese ships. The most serious happened on June 17, when China Coast Guard personnel wielding knives, sticks, and an axe surrounded and boarded three Philippine Navy boats during a resupply mission to Ayungin Shoal in the Spratly Islands. While the countries agreed last week to "de-escalate tensions" over the disputed reefs and waters, Año said during a conference marking the anniversary of the ruling by The Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

READ: Guo's elementary classmate: She didn't speak Filipino or English

TWO former students of a school in Quezon City have told The Manila Times that Alice Guo, the suspended Bamban, Tarlac, mayor, was their elementary classmate. The two consented to be interviewed through Facebook Messenger on the condition that they remain anonymous. Guo has maintained that she was "home-schooled" by a certain "Teacher Rubilyn" and never attended formal classes. But during a Senate hearing last Wednesday, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian revealed that Guo studied at Grace Christian High School, renamed as Grace Christian College, from Grades 1 to 3 between 2000 and 2003. The recollections of two of Guo's classmates to The Times appear to back up Gatchalian's claim that Guo attended elementary school at Grace.

READ: SC: No ruling yet on anti-dynasty bill petitions

THE Supreme Court on Friday said it has yet to issue a decision directing Congress to pass an anti-political dynasty law, contrary to published reports. The court issued the clarification following a report on Thursday that "it will move to compel Congress to pass a law defining political dynasties ..." A group of lawyers has earlier petitioned the Supreme Court to compel Congress to pass an anti-dynasty law. The militant party-list group Bayan Muna has also reiterated its call for immediate passage. According to a 2012 study published in the Philippine Political Science Journal, most government positions are held by politicians, who are members of political dynasties. From 1995 to 2007, an average of 31.3 percent of all congressmen and 23.1 percent of governors were replaced by relatives. It was estimated that 40 percent of all provinces in the Philippines have a governor and congressman related in some way.

READ: NCR food distribution system to be improved

THE government aims to decongest food distribution in Metro Manila by redirecting some deliveries through Clark and other potential hubs, a Department of Trade (DoTr) official said. During an interview with The Manila Times, Trade Undersecretary Mary Jean Pacheco said the three-year food logistics plan could revolutionize the country's food distribution system. Pacheco said consumers worry about high food prices "because there's inefficiency in the system." The plan includes the digitalization of food terminals, streamlining the process, and reducing costs by linking buyers directly to suppliers through information technology solutions.

READ: Quiboloy's co-accused arrested

ONE of the co-accused of fugitive Kingdom of Jesus Christ leader Apollo Quiboloy was arrested on Thursday, Interior and Local Government Secretary Benjamin Abalos said on Friday. In a news conference at Camp Crame, Abalos presented to the media Pauline Chavez Canada, who was apprehended by authorities at Emily Homes Subdivision, Cabantian Village in Davao City. Quiboloy and his co-accused are facing cases of qualified human trafficking and child abuse. Abalos said information provided by an anonymous caller led to Canada's arrest. Abalos said on Monday that anonymous private individuals have put up the 10-million-peso reward for any information that would lead to Quiboloy's arrest.

READ: Familiar names top picks for Senate

FAMILIAR names lead in a second-quarter Publicus Asia survey on voter preference for the Senate race in the 2025 midterm elections. In the Pahayag survey, Dr. Willie Ong tops voter preference at 39 percent, followed by ACT-CIS Party-list Rep. Erwin Tulfo at 33 percent, and former president Rodrigo Duterte at 32 percent — the last two of the trio share the second place in a statistical tie. Former senator Ping Lacson keeps a steady voting preference at 32 percent, while former Senate president Vicente "Tito" Sotto III, re-electionist Sen. Bong Go, and former Manila mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso each get a 29 percent voting preference. Former vice president Leni Robredo, who opted out of the race, still maintains a stable voter preference at 28 percent.

BUSINESS: Auto sales decelerate

Headlining business, motor vehicle sales slowed in June compared to a month earlier due to supply issues and a demand slowdown, industry groups reported on Friday. A total of 39,088 units left showrooms, down 2.9 percent from 40,271 in May, the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines Inc. (Campi) and the Truck Manufacturers Association said. Year to date, however, sales were up 11.8 percent to 226,279 units compared to the 202,415 recorded in the first half of 2023. Sales hit a record 429,807 units last year and automakers are hopeful of an even better 2024 showing of 468,300, to be helped by new vehicle offerings, marketing efforts and the staging of the 9th Philippine International Motor Show later this year.

SPORTS: Calabarzon takes early lead in Palarong Pambansa

Over to sports, Region 4A (Calabarzon) grabbed the early lead in the gold medal race at the 2024 Palarong Pambansa in Cebu City. As of 5:30 p.m. on Friday, the Southern Tagalog Region, which placed third overall last year, harvested a total of 27 gold medals on top of nine silvers and 11 bronzes. Defending champion National Capital Region is in close second place with a 19-12-19 gold-silver-bronze medal haul while host region Region 7 (Central Visayas) is third with a 13-21-6 tally. Gymnast Mark Jacob Villamar of Joze Memorial School in Calamba City led the charge for Calabarzon with a personal collection of four gold medals. Villamar topped the elementary boys individual all-around, horizontal bar, pommel horse and floor exercise. Jasmine Mojdeh, one of the favorites to dominate the swimming competitions, is also helping Calabarzon's cause with two gold medals so far. She ruled the two events in record breaking fashions.

READ: Opinion and editorial

Antonio Contreras, Yen Makabenta, and Danton Remoto are today's front page columnists. Contreras looks at Environment Secretary Ma. Antonio Yulo-Loyzaga's inconsistencies over the Masungi Georeserve, Makabenta looks into the vital functions of political parties, while Remoto opposes the discrimination against independent publishers.

Today's editorial calls for stronger action against food waste. Read the full version in the paper's opinion section or listen to the Voice of the Times.

For more news and information, read The Manila Times on print, subscribe to its digital edition or log on to www.manilatimes.net. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn; and be part of our communities on Viber, Telegram, and Mastodon.