Banal returns to ring in JulyJune 8, 2013 8:57 pm
Alex John “Bazooka” Banal will return to the ring in a non-title bout against Mexican Ramon Maas on July 6 in Pinoy Pride 21.
Banal said he really wanted to recapture his winning ways after losing via technical knockout against Thailand’s Pungluang Sor Singyu for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) bantamweight title in October 20 last year in Manila.
“I’m hoping to regain my old deadly form,” said the 24-year-old bantamweight, who holds 28-2-1 win-loss-draw card with 20 knockouts. “So far, I’m confident I can win in my return fight. All I need to do is focus on my training and game plan.”
Maas holds a 26-3 win-loss record with 15 knockouts although he is coming off from back-to-back defeats against Jonathan Ramos Lecona and Mario Briones.
Pinoy Pride 21 at the new Solaire Resort and Casino will feature as main event the fight between unbeaten WBO minimum weight champion Merlito Sabillo (21-0, 11 KOs) and Colombian Jorle Estrada (16-6 with 5 KOs).
Arthur Villanueva (21-0, 11 KOs) will also fight former world title contender Arturo Badillo (21-4, 19 KOs) for the vacant WBO Asia-Pacific super flyweight belt in other bout.
Don’t rush Pacquiao-Mayweather
A new lease on boxing for Pacquiao
Dear Kuya Ed
PBA salaries no longer enviable
‘The Flash’ should make quick work of ‘The Bull’
‘Wrecked Machine’ needs time to repair
Donaire’s hypersonic left hook
At a Glance
- ROMEO, ALMAZAN LEAD MYTHICAL FIVE AWARDEES
- JIMENEZ EYES HONG KONG REPEAT IN WEAK FIELD
- TOUR SHOWPIECE CUT OVER LACK OF STAR PLAYERS
- DOCTORS CLEAR VONN TO TRAIN WEDNESDAY
- WORLD CUP ON TRACK DESPITE STADIUM SETBACK
- PHILIPPINES EYES SWEEP OF SEA GAMES CAGE GOLDS
- OVERWEIGHT SOLIS STRIPPED OF WBA SUPERFLY TITLE
- GASOL ANKLE SPRAIN MILD BUT LAKERS LOSE FARMAR FOR MONTH
- KHAN WILL BE AT ALEXANDER FIGHT, BUT NOT IN THE RING
- JIMENEZ WARY OF THREAT TO TITLE DEFENSE